Golf Pad Tags and Smart Watch - need a clear answer

Posted almost 3 years ago by Mike Alesch

Post a topic
Un Answered
M
Mike Alesch

General Question - Can i use the golf pad TAGS with a smart watch by taping the reader to the watch instead of a phone, or when using the watch, is that making the tags obsolete?  I've watched the videos, read the forums, scoured the FAQs and support - NOTHING is out there to answer this question.  In the video, the person is shown manually selecting his clubs on his watch to track - if not using a watch, i suspect he would have the tags and would bump his phone in his pocket - so my question is, can i tap my watch to the tag to select/activate that club or is this not possible?  if it's not possible, then the answer to my question would that using the watch, makes the tags obsolete and i'll have to manually select the club on my watch each time.  

2 Votes

13 Comments

Sorted by
H

Hazel78 posted 3 months ago

Golf Pad Tags combined with a wristwatch changed the way I played golf! Every round is more fun with precise shot tracking and real-time statistics on my wrist. An essential tool for any golfer trying to raise their game on the course."

0 Votes

Cindy Wren

Cindy Wren posted 12 months ago Admin

@Paul - thanks for your post. We actually have some information on this topic published here, so be sure to check that out for more details. Basically, the current situation is that all NFC-equipped smartwatches, including Samsung's Galaxy watches, can only act as passive NFC transmitters. That means they're not able to scan NFC tags. However, if/when watch manufacturers add tag reading capability, we'll definitely be on top of it and make sure to support it in Golf Pad. Thanks for your interest in using Golf Pad with your smartwatch, and keep the questions and comments coming!

0 Votes

p

paul silverston posted 12 months ago

Gosh it would be nice to be able to use the watch for this... Smart Watches have NFC so there is no reason other than lack of programing to allow this

0 Votes

E

EnWu posted almost 3 years ago

No, you don't need the tags for using the Smart Watch. You can manually choose a golfclub in the watch. But if you use tags, tap the phone and keep the watch connected for the used club information.

0 Votes

a

andrew.salm@gmail.com posted almost 3 years ago

Ok... a question I cannot find an answer to is: 

Do I need the tags in order to use the Smart Watch? 
I understand the tags don't work on the watch, but do I need the tags in order to have the clubs registered in the app, so that the watch can tell me the stats etc... on each club used? Or... by simply selecting the club on the watch, it makes it that club without having to tag each club. 

I plan to use my watch because I don't like having anything in my pockets when I play. I just don't want to waste the money on the tags if I can use the watch + app without the tags. 

0 Votes

S

Stewart Brogan posted almost 3 years ago

I use my iWatch, I will wait to buy the tags until Apple enable me to tap my clubs on my watch

0 Votes

S

Stewart Brogan posted almost 3 years ago

Thanks for the comments they were extremely useful. I use my iWatch with my iPhone in aeroplane mode in my golf bag it works perfectly. I will not buy the Golf Pad Tags until Apple enable me to tap my club on my iWatch. With out this the tags would be useless

0 Votes

Cindy Wren

Cindy Wren posted almost 3 years ago Admin

Hi there Radek - Were you able to review the information Golf Pad provided above in this forum discussion? If you still have questions about this function or are having difficulty with the app, please email us at support@golfpadgps.com. We take pride in helping our customers and ensuring they get the most value for their investment in the Golf Pad application. - Cindy

0 Votes

R

Radek Meluzin posted almost 3 years ago

The same question(s)! I am very unhappy with this web and app maker!! What for my money??

0 Votes

E

EJG posted almost 3 years ago

Hi All,

I have the a paid subscription, the TAGS, an iPhone, and an Apple watch.

In my experience (and as stated by Cindy, above), the TAGS only work with the phone. However, I find the experience with the phone absolutely awful. I would happily sell my TAGS to someone.

The reason is that the phone has to be in the "receive mode" by swiping the phone in an odd way. I find the phone doesn't stay in that mode without very careful handling (including removing it from the case that I have the phone in). Next, the TAGS often don't register. You have to hit the phone in exactly the right place. Also, you can't see the phone on a bright day (especially when it goes into the 'receive mode' as it blacks out everything. The last thing you want to do on the golf course is fight with technology. I became the playing partner from hell--fighting with my phone rather than concentrating on my next shot. Miserable!

I almost threw out the whole system. But I got an Apple watch for Christmas and that made all of the difference. Go to the course, select it on the iPhone, sync the watch, then turn off the phone. The watch is easily seen in the bright sunshine and displays the yardages to front/middle/back of green. It also tracks the distance of your last shot. When ready to hit a shot, tap the screen with your finger and select which club you are hitting (it displays clubs it thinks you should hit). Easy and not error-prone. When finished with the round, turn the phone back on and resync, your whole round is available on the map, along with the statistics.

My recommendation is the app and a watch. That is my experience. You may find that things work differently for you.

-EJG

2 Votes

Cindy Wren

Cindy Wren posted almost 3 years ago Admin

Thanks for the question and replies from other users. We have information on the topic published here. In short:  At this time all NFC-equipped smartwatches (including Samsung's Galaxy watches) can only act as passive NFC transmitters. None of them are capable of scanning NFC tags. If/when watch manufacturers add tag reading capability, we'll be sure to support it in Golf Pad. 

0 Votes

E

EnWu posted almost 3 years ago

I also considered buying the tags, but using the tags in combination with the smartwatch have little benefit. In my opinion: 

1. You can't tap the smartwatch. 

2. You have to tap on the phone, so then you have to wear it on your body, otherwise you get the wrong shot locations and you have to keep the smartwatch connected. 

3. In standalone mode of the smartwatch, there is no shot/score information because it does not have the information of the phone. The smartwatch in standalone mode in combination with the tags, can only be used for rangefinder distances, not for club selection and scores. If you want synchronization of the data, you have to pair it again with the phone. (I don't know how the sync works, if you also keep shots on the standalone smartwatch.)

0 Votes

A

Andy Kasanicky posted almost 3 years ago

Mike, you are right on with this question.  I can not find the answer to this question either.  Seems like an obvious question, that no addresses.

1 Votes

Login or Sign up to post a comment